Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Diabetes Blog Week - Fantasy Device

Today let’s tackle an idea inspired by Bennet of Your Diabetes May Vary.  Tell us what your Fantasy Diabetes Device would be?  Think of your dream blood glucose checker, delivery system for insulin or other meds, magic carb counter, etc etc etc.  The sky is the limit – what would you love to see?
1.) There are few things more irritating than going hypo and still having multiple units of insulin on board. Wouldn't it be lovely if there was an insulin anti-dote that did not involve consuming something? Maybe I'm not hungry/thirsty. Maybe I might want to lose a pound or two instead of gain them. If I'm low and more lows are on the horizon, I want to push a button on my pump that infuses an insulin "eraser", of sorts.

2.) I've only been using Hans (my pump) for the last month, but it has been sufficient time for me to become thoroughly annoyed with excess tubing. It pokes out at the side of my waist from under my shirt, it peaks up from it's cozy bra nest, and it incessantly tries to snag on everything and anything. My fantasy device would be quite easy for manufacturers to produce -- RETRACTABLE TUBING!
Measuring tapes are retractable. Dog leashes are retractable. Come on, pharma!

I want these things! Pleeeeease! Please? Pretty please? With sugar on top? Ok, not sugar. Splenda?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shara,

    I was wondering if you accepted any guest posting on your site. I couldn’t manage to find your email on the site. If you could get a hold of me at jeff@drugwatch.com, I would greatly appreciate it!

    Thanks,
    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the pump is a great device, and I wouldn’t go back to having 5 shots a day with an insulin pen. I like your post also and looking for more!

    ReplyDelete